In the midst (back garden, spring 2008)
Image by Darkroom Daze
The rather scruffy upper end of our garden in Spring 2008 (2).
We were in the midst here of changing the top end of our garden from an unkempt bare patch to a terrace with borders. The Valrosa Cabin workshop (background) was quite new (2007) and here we are are just moving things into it after we’d painted the inside, put in the floor-covering and fitted the shelving. The decking and the block path to the cabin were also new. These were all the first steps in the plan for this part of the garden. The untidy area in front of the cabin had become a temporary dumping area for garden materials during the construction work, but was soon to become our upper terrace.
For those interested in seeing the gardening details better, go to Actions (top L) > View all sizes > Original. See also notes on picture. However, notes are not retained in downloaded versions of Flickr images.
(Details below currently being edited)
– Decking – removable decking ‘bridge’ (recently completed by Acer Landscapes) over Middle Section of Garden Railway, öowere L. Ideally we’d have been able to make this a fixed bridge in stone but this would have meant having a step-up here in order to give full clearance for the trains.
– Garden Railway (G-scale) – 45mm gauge G-Scale, based on Märklin-LGB system, parts and rolling stock, and own garden-sized civil engineering. Part of the Middle Section is visible here, lower centre and lower R where it joins the Upper Loop on the Upper (Railway) Rockery.
– Path – leading to steps to Valrosa Cabin, L, newly laid in concrete block paving by Acer Landscapes.
– Temple of Juno garden shed – only part visible is the singe white column of portico, far L. I made the columns made from a flag pole.
– Valrosa Cabin workshop – in background L, fully insulated, built for us the previous year by Acer Landscapes. Although completed, we had to paint the inside and put floor covering in, before we could fit it out and move in (as we are doing here).
– Water butt – centre R, supplied with rain water from roof of Valrosa Cabin, just behind.
– Picea glauca var. albertiana ‘Conica’ (centre foreground).
OTHER DETAILS (also noted on photo)
– ‘Banks Cabinet’ drawers (ex-NHM – "Rosen Wanted") – L centre, stacked up during transfer from house, and about to be moved into Valrosa Cabin behind.
For history of our garden, see set description for BACK GARDEN: www.flickr.com/photos/brize/sets/72157619611607384/with/4…
Country: UK: England
London Borough: Lambeth
District: West Dulwich, SE21
Aspect: view is approx westward. Border on L faces N, so mostly in shade.
Photo: Darkroom Daze
Creative Commons. Please attribute.
ID: CIMG0567 – Version 2